Thursday, January 7, 2010

My rose bush has a white powder on it?

I have noticed that some new leafs have a kinda white powder on them. What is that ? is the bush sick or is that normal?My rose bush has a white powder on it?
it is definitly powdery mildew.i product I love using for roses and clematis is orthenex systemic insecticide and fungicide.I use it as a preventitive for most of problems that arise with roses.i start spraying when the roses start getting full leaves and every two weeks until September.Boy do my roses love me for that.!!!You just have to be careful not to spray in the heat of the day better in evening.and not on windy daysGood Luck!!!My rose bush has a white powder on it?
This is a disease called powdery mildew. It's quite common on roses along with black spot. Make sure the rose bush is in full sun with good air circulation. There are many good fungicides to use to combat this disease; I think the best one is made by Ortho and is called Funginex. It contains Triforine. You need to spray weekly for at least three weeks. If you're a strictly organic grower, there are organic fungicides, or you can make your own with baking soda. Mix two tablespoons of baking soda with water and spray on the leaves. You will probably have to spray more often, but it is organic. However, if the roses don't have AT LEAST a half day of full sun and don't have good air circulation (for example, they shouldn't be planted in a corner or in a walled in area), you will be fighting these problems all season long.





I hope this information helps.
Powdery Mildew! If you want to save the plant perhaps you can contact your local extension office for the best product for your area. In the future try looking for disease resistant roses that grow well in your area until you are a more experienced gardener. I made the same mistakes when I started gardening. If I thought it was beautiful I bought strictly on looks.


When you water your plants try to get water just on the roots or base of the plants. Always try to avoid watering the foliage.


A rose is not always a rose!


Welcome to rose gardening!


Contessa, Plant Whisperer
no its not normal, it is mealybugs and you need to deal with them. Here is the link to help you


http://www.ehow.com/how_4667014_bugs-aka鈥?/a>
Sounds like some form of mildew. Ask at a nursery about it , they probably can give a more professional answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment